WHAT IS NOW THE LONDON SILVER VAULTS ORIGINALLY OPENED AS THE CHANCERY LANE SAFE DEPOSIT IN 1876, RENTING STRONG ROOMS WHERE LONDONERS COULD SAFEGUARD THEIR HOUSEHOLD SILVER, JEWELLERY AND PERSONAL DOCUMENTS.
In time, businesses also came to use the strongrooms. Central London silver dealers and shops that required secure premises for their valuable stock started to rent the Vaults for storage. A number of the current shop owners at The London Silver Vaults can recall visiting their grandparents storage Vaults many decades ago.
The original building was bomb-damaged during World War Two. It was re-built as retail units, at the request of many of the silver dealers who had previously rented space there, and opened in its present format in 1953.
As knowledge of the Vaults’ shops began to spread, they became a “must” for both British and international visitors who came to buy quality antique English silver at competitive prices. In the 1950s many American servicemen stationed in the UK came here to buy silver to take home to their wives and mothers. English diplomats were required to buy their ‘silver service’ from the Vaults prior to an overseas posting. Film stars, rock stars and royalty have all shopped at The London Silver Vaults. Now world renowned, it houses some 30 specialist shops within its walls.